Abuja (AFP) – Supporters of more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by Islamist militants headed to court on Tuesday to challenge a police ban on protest marches in the Nigerian capital, calling the decision illegal.
The Bring Back Our Girls campaign said it would seek to overturn the ban, which the Federal Capital Territory police announced on Monday because of what they said were security concerns.
Boko Haram fighters kidnapped 276 girls from their school in the remote northeastern town of Chibok on April 14. A total of 219 are still missing and an international effort to locate and rescue them is ongoing.
March organisers Oby Ezekwesili and Hadiza Bala Usman said their protests over the last 34 days had been peaceful and they could not understand the ban, as police had previously indicated the demonstrations were within the law.